Ultimate Checklist for Moving Your Business’ Office
Relocating your business can be an exciting time, but moving into a new facility can also pose quite a challenge. You need to be sure everything is in order so you can continue to provide excellent service to your customers both during and after the move. Use the following business moving checklist to help make the process a bit easier and less stressful for you, your staff and your customers.
What to Consider When Moving a Business
Keep in mind the following to help you determine what do do when moving a business:
- Don’t wait until the last minute: A successful move requires careful long-term planning. Begin the planning phase approximately nine months out if possible.
- Establish a preliminary relocation budget: Determine the amount of money you will need to fund your move and create a budget that meets your relocation requirements.
- Conduct a comprehensive site survey and facility review: This should include a careful evaluation of key aspects such as your space, technology, communications, furniture and equipment requirements. Narrow your options to two or three suitable facilities at most.
- Select your new facility: Finalize your site selection and begin the process of negotiating a lease with your landlord and planning any necessary site or facility improvements.
- Plan your office layout: You should begin to evaluate this item on the checklist for moving an office premises about five months prior to your move. This includes areas such as designating office space and ordering new office furniture and equipment. This is also a good time to provide realtor information to your staff so they can begin their personal relocation preparations.
- Order your new security system: At approximately three months out, you should begin to explore your security system options. Depending on your type of business and the layout of your facility or office, your integrated system should include features such as intrusion detection, access control, video surveillance and video verification.
- Implementing your move plan: When you get to the one-month mark, you should begin to put your moving plan into action. This includes taking steps such as installing your new phone system, tagging furniture and equipment and developing a new office extension directory and wall map (so your employees can find their way around when they move in). This is also a good time to do a final walk-through of your new facility to make sure everything is in order.
- Days prior to the move: Within a few days before the move you should back up your office computers and begin to have your staff pack up their desks and workspaces. If you have a security system that requires keycard access, now is the time to pick them up and distribute new ones to your staff (assuming your new security system also features an electronic access control system).
At this point, all the hard work and preparation should be complete, helping to make moving day as stress free as possible.
Contact Titan Alarm for Your Business Security Needs
If you are relocating to the Phoenix area and you’re not sure what to do when moving a business in terms of security, be sure to contact the Phoenix commercial security experts at Titan Alarm. We can design and install the most appropriate security system for your needs and budget.
Learn More About Intrusion Detection
Updated by Titan Alarm on November 5, 2018.