Threats to safety at school take many forms these days: bullying is a major issue in many schools, and there are growing concerns about active shooter situations and even acts of terrorism. Protecting students and teachers is a top priority in elementary, middle and high schools in Arizona and across the Unites States. In this post, we’ll explore the various teacher and student protection solutions available to school systems. Schools can:
- Install fences: Fences create a visible physical barrier that will deter intruders. Fences are especially important for protecting students on elementary school playgrounds. Consider constructing a fence with blunt top projections to prevent intruders from climbing over.
- Establish choke points: Most school buildings are large structures containing multiple entrances — which also provides multiple opportunities for intruders to find their way inside. Creating a choke point, which entails locking all entrances except one closely monitored access point, allows school staff members to control who enters the building at all times. If it becomes necessary to unlock multiple doors to accommodate a large influx or departure of students at the beginning and conclusion of the school day, these entrance points should also be monitored.
- Train staff to spot security threats: Another important school protection step is providing training for teachers and other staff members so they can detect a potential security threat in the early stages. Local law enforcement agencies can provide valuable security tips and may even be available to conduct in-person training sessions.
- Provide emergency response training: A security emergency can create chaos that is counterproductive when attempting to maintain school safety. Training your staff to function as a coordinated team — including individual responsibilities to each team member — can significantly reduce confusion and improve the chances of a positive outcome.
- Implement a visitor management system: Establish a system for verifying the identity of individuals who arrive on campus claiming to be parents or invited guests. Software systems are available that can provide valuable security information, including whether the visitor is a registered sex offender.
- Use guards and metal detectors: It may be necessary to resort to implementing more “extreme” security measures in schools with a history of violent behavior. Metal detectors can screen for weapons such as guns and knives. Many school systems have enlisted the services of security guards or local police officers to patrol the building during school hours.
- Install school alarm systems and other security devices: Technology can play a vital role in protecting teachers and students, as well as for securing the premises during after-school hours. Options include video surveillance cameras, access control systems, burglar alarms, motion sensors and video verification systems.
Titan Alarm, Inc. Can Meet Your School Safety and Security Needs in Phoenix, AZ
Titan Alarm is a reputable security solutions provider serving Phoenix and all of Maricopa County. We can work with school administrators and security personnel to design a customized, state-of-the-art system with 24/7 monitoring that addresses the security risks in your campus’s most vulnerable areas. Contact us to schedule a no-obligation security consultation today.